Affandi (1907 – 23 May 1990) was one of the Indonesian expressionist painter and the earliest advertiser in Indonesia. He was born in Cirebon, West Java, in 1907.
His specialty was in oil painting and a billboard artist. His job was painting for advertisements like posters and billboard and dedicated the rest of his time to do his art. I love his sketches the most. These two, in particular, are my favorites.
Playing domino in taman siswo garage, 1949. Chinese ink on paper.
Volendam, 1952. Chinese ink on paper.
Affandi was inspired by impressionist painters like Goya and Edvard Munch, Breughel, Hieronymus Bosch, and Botticelli. He started developed the technique of painting expressionism in the 1950s by (accidentally, impatiently) squeezing the tube right on the canvas and found it was good and gives him the freedom to express himself.
Ricefield in Madura, 1983. Oil on Canvas.
Details of Ricefield in Madura, 1983. Oil on Canvas.
Sugar Cane Muntit, 1985. Oil on canvas.
Othok othok (Toy Seller), 1987. Oil on canvas.
Thamrin Street in the Night, 1979. Oil on canvas.
And self-portrait After failed to paint, 1981. Oil on canvas.
Four dead roosters and the foot, 1980. Oil on canvas.
Self Portrait – a Dead Cock, 1987. Oil on canvas.
As one of the renown painting from the Indonesian from the Independence years, he earned the honorary doctorate from University of Singapore, the Peace Award from the Dag Hammarskjoeld Foundation in 1977, and the title of Grand Maestro in Florence, Italy.
On the 3.500 m2 land, there are four galleries, two studios, and the former Affandi’s resident-turned-cafe, Kafe Loteng.
Affandi designer the place himself, inspired by the shape of banana leaves.
A 1976 Mitsubishi Gallant is also on display
His paint-clothes and cigars
Where is it: Jl. Laksda Adisucipto 167, Yogyakarta 55281 Indonesia
Phone : +62 274 562593
Fax : +62 274 562593
Time: opens daily (except Sunday) from 09.00 a.m. up to 04.00 p.m
Entry Fee: Visitors (International) Rp. 100.000, Visitors (Local) Rp. 50.000, Camera Rp. 30.000, Mobile Camera (Hp) Rp. 20.000
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | On Arrival
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Kraton Yogyakarta, Designed by Javanese Culture and Believes
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | the House of Raminten, Peculiar and Eclectic Style.
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Prambanan, The Legend of the Cursed Princess and the Gods
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Candi Ijo, City Overview from the Highest Temple in Yogyakarta
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Beauty Queen, Ratu Boko
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Heavenly Sunrise from Punthuk Setumbu
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Borobudur, Largest 3D Narrative of Buddha’s Journey to Enlightenment
- [Travel] Yogyakarta |Taman Sari, Leasure complex for the Sultan and His Concubines
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Two-Face of Jogjakarta Art – Tradition Meet Modern Art
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Affandi, The Expressionist Painter and the Earliest Advertiser in Indonesia
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Good Morning Pasar Legi Kotagede
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Last Resting Place for The Mataram Sultans at Kotagede
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Remnants of the Mataram Sultanate at Kota Gede
Source: Museum Affandi