We have a gorgeous sunset at Ratu Boko yesterday and this morning we say hello to the rising sun on top of the Punthuk Setumbu, on the height of 400 metres above sea level, overlooking the forest where Borobudur is before going down and explore the temple itself.
Yawning mightily, my brother and I rose early to meet our driver. This time the cost of a Toyota Innova AC + 1 driver + gasoline + free guide + 12 hours = Rp. 800.000 (around USD$55).
So early on, around 3-4is AM, off we go from Yogyakarta to Kerahan Village, Karangrejo, Borobudur district, Magelang regency. We arrive close to 5 AM at the feet of mount Menoreh. Entrance Rp. 15.000 (around USD$1.03) for local and Rp. 30.000 (around USD$2.06) for international tourist.
It’s dark and there’s only a light here and there from the makeshift light or a small tavern. We walk up the hill toward Punthuk Setumbu hill for around 10-15 minutes before we arrive at the viewing deck.
As the sun rises we can also see Borobudur from afar. The viewing deck is pretty packed so need to squeeze between people to get to some spots. Oh well, At least my position is pretty high to get the view.
Gradually the sky turns golden and blue. Borobudur also glows golden. It’s a breathaking experience. Reminds me when I went to see the sunrise at Prau (Indonesia) and HuangShan (Yellow Mountain – China).
After a satisfying morning, we decide to go down and have a little breakfast with cup noddle and coffee. Hmm the best.
A very nice morning indeed. Next, we drive down to see Borobudur.
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | On Arrival
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Kraton Yogyakarta, Designed by Javanese Culture and Believes
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | the House of Raminten, Peculiar and Eclectic Style.
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Prambanan, The Legend of the Cursed Princess and the Gods
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Candi Ijo, City Overview from the Highest Temple in Yogyakarta
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Beauty Queen, Ratu Boko
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Heavenly Sunrise from Punthuk Setumbu
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Borobudur, Largest 3D Narrative of Buddha’s Journey to Enlightenment
- [Travel] Yogyakarta |Taman Sari, Leasure complex for the Sultan and His Concubines
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Two-Face of Jogjakarta Art – Tradition Meet Modern Art
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Affandi, The Expressionist Painter and the Earliest Advertiser in Indonesia
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | Good Morning Pasar Legi Kotagede
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Last Resting Place for The Mataram Sultans at Kotagede
- [Travel] Yogyakarta | The Remnants of the Mataram Sultanate at Kota Gede